Monday, April 13, 2015

Foundation Samples from Spirit Beauty Lounge

I am currently enjoying the mineral foundations I'm using. However, having been a liquid foundation girl for most of my makeup life, I was excited to see that there are natural liquid and cream foundation options. Unfortunately, most companies do not cater to women of color. Even those that are considered inclusive tend to have 5 shades of beige and 1-2 dark shades at the end. Those dark shades are usually way to dark for me. So it's quite difficult for a lighter skinned woman of color to find a good match. I decided to order some samples of popular natural foundations from Spirit Beauty Lounge Here are the swatches below:




without flash



with flash




RMS Beauty "Un" Cover-Up 44

This leans a little yellow, which actually works better because my face has more yellow undertones than my arm. This is probably the most promising shade in the set. This is the darkest option that they offer so if this does not work applied to my face, this foundation will be a no for me and any other darker skinned WOC.

Kjaer Weis Creme Foundation in Velvety

This shade is very similar to the RMS 44, however it leans just a tad more neutral, and just slightly orange. I am curious to see how it will be on my face. The company recently released a darker shade called Delicate, however from the looks of it, it will be entirely too dark for me. 

W3ll People Narcissist Foundation/Concealer Stick No. 6

This foundation has obvious pink undertones. It won't work for me at all. Also, the consistency seemed very clumpy and it wasn't very easy even to swatch on my arm. I can't imagine the difficulty when applying to my face. However, it could be because it is a sample and has been exposed to the air. There is a darker shade No. 7, but the model they used for this shade is much darker than I am. I must also note that I can't see shade No.6 matching the models they used on their website. Those girls have yellow undertones and this is clearly cool. Due to consistency and the undertones, I will not make any further attempts to sample this product.

Vapour Organic Beauty Luminous Foundation 135

Shade 135 actually seems like a great match for me. It is probably the best shade match out of all the samples. I chose the Luminous over the Soft Focus because they said this one is better for dry skin. According to their website, 135 is for medium/tan skin with yellow/olive undertones. That's me!! The model they used for this shade, however, is hispanic. For the next shade up, 140, they used Tyra Banks, who is darker than me, and the shade description is medium dark with red undertones. I did notice a smell when I applied this swatch. It almost smells a bit like glue. I am unsure of how I will handle this on my face, but if the shade works I may try to work with it.  

W3ll People Altruist Mineral Foundation No. 18

As you can see, this foundation has yellow undertones. It is very pigmented. Swatched it doesn't look much different from the Alima Pure #6 I currently use. Unfortunately, when I first opened the container, I noticed that this product definitely has a smell. From the ingredients list, it is unscented. However, even if the product is not scented, the smell is very overpowering and does not dissipate. I would not be able to use this on my face. 

RMS Beauty "Un" Powder

This product is meant to be a setting powder, therefore it is not very pigmented. It is just a tad bit on the light side, but I REALLY like the texture. I think it might work over my current mineral foundations, so I'm looking forward to playing with it. 


Hopefully, as brands grow and expand, they will adapt to cater more to women of color. I wish there were more options. I will update you all on how these fair on my face. 

What foundations do you all use? Any brand you'd recommend? 


No comments:

Post a Comment