Monday, October 20, 2014

Natural Hair Brunch Affair


As I have been natural for almost 5 years now, I've settled in so much so that I've grown somewhat bored with "natural hair events". I mean, ultimately I'd like us to get to a point where natural hair is so normal that it doesn't have to be talked about so much, but I know that day isn't likely to come anytime soon. Nevertheless, the enthusiasm I've had for the movement has diminished. I love my hair more than ever, but I don't always feel the need to shout that from the rooftops. Mine is a quiet, yet genuine love. And while the product junkie in me always will want to try new things, and I still scour YouTube and Instagram for style ideas, it'd been a while since I'd attended a "natural hair meetup" My good friend Ashley (@deepimpact403) encouraged me to attend the Natural Hair Brunch affair hosted by the sisters behind the Instagram page Natural Hair Does Care. Having followed their page, and never wanting to turn down brunch, I decided to bite the bullet and pay the $45 to attend. I must say that it is was $45 well spent. 






Brunch by Exspensive Taste Catering (this is the spelling used by the creator) with was delicious! The event was cohosted with Food Before Love, a new page the foodie in me is excited about. We had pancakes, fresh pancakes that came out every couple of minutes, hash browns, spinach quesadillas, chicken pineapple skewers, stuffed peppers, and an interesting twist on a classic, popsicle mimosas. 


(Photo cred: @_thegoldengirl_)

I got to meet the two sisters @nvrbnprmd and @doc_smartin who were super sweet and gorgeous. I also got to meet the lovely lady behind @teamnatural_ Constance. I got to see several of my natural friends and stylists such as @angielatriece and @eclectic_vibez , and even got to meet some of my followers if been wanting to meet for a long time like @jdwinters







The highlight of the event was getting to meet the owner of Tropic Isle Living, the company that makes the Jamaican Black Castor Oil I've been using for years. Already a fan of her products, I became even more a fan when she shared her story. She and her husband stepped out on faith to start the company with recipes she'd learned from her grandmother. She spoke with such wisdom and grace. She advocated detoxing from the inside out by juicing and bathing regularly with Epsom salt, as well as spiritual cleansing. And she had the MOST AMAZING makeup free skin! I had a chance to chat with her after the event and she stated that Tropic Isle will be coming out with a skin care line so I'm extremely excited about that. 





All in all, I had a great time at the Natural Hair Brunch Affair. It was well organized, fun, informational, and inspirational. And while you won't see me at every natural hair event around town, I thoroughly enjoyed this and look forward to attending, and writing other happenings that pique my interest and revive my sense of belonging to the natural hair community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment