Saturday, January 3, 2015

GlamGlow PowerMud DualCleanse Treatment Review



This morning I tried the GlamGlow PowerMud DualCleanse Treatment. I was hesitant because I heard not so great reviews about this for those with sensitive skin. However, the mud to oil property really intrigued me. Nothing like a gimmick to get people to buy. Lol. However, my best friend actually bought this for Christmas, so I had to give it a try. 




For those of you unfamiliar with the GlamGlow brand, here is a little information from Sephora.com:

GLAMGLOW was originally designed for exclusive professional backstage use in Hollywood. In 2011, GLAMGLOW became available to consumers worldwide and is now one of the hottest brands in skincare. Known for fast-acting and innovative mud treatments, their patent-pending formulas combine real pieces of leaf with high-end technology to deliver instant, visible results.

I have used the original Youthmud Tinglexfoliate Treatment before with good results. However, unlike the original treatment that goes from mask to exfoliator, this one goes from mask to cleansing oil. 

What it is:
A mud-to-oil, gentle, deep cleansing treatment that removes the weekly buildup of dirt, oil, and makeup. 

What it is formulated to do:
Revolutionize your cleansing routine with POWERMUD™ mud-to-oil Dualcleanse Treatment. Indulge in a multisensory cleansing experience, uniting the power of mud and the power of oil to achieve amplified deep cleansing, yet gentle results. Goodbye weekly buildup—hello super clean, velvety skin. 

It features OILIXER™, which is a custom blended complex of four powerful, rare, non-greasy, and fast-absorbing deep cleansing oils. CLAYTOX™ is a carefully balanced four-clay blend specifically developed to provide an ultragentle skin detoxification for a maximum yet delicate cleanse. And PUREIFIER™ is a complex mix of cleansers, astringents, and exfoliators, working in synergy to dramatically purify and condition the skin.

There are some ingredients I was concerned about. In particular, phenoxyethanol. It is now one of the top preservatives, even used in natural products as a substitute for parabens. My ultimate goal is preservative free skincare, so this would not be in my top product picks. I highlighted the ingredients below that caught my attention negatively.  I did not find it to be too bad for a product not considered to be "natural" or "organic".

Water, Bentonite, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Squalane, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Methyl Gluceth-20, Montmorillonite, Niacinamide, Xanthan Gum, Verbascum Thapsus Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract, Sapindus Mukurossi Peel Extract, Verbascum Thapsus Extract, Plankton Extract, Boswellia Carterli Oil, Commiphora Myrrha Oil, Pinus Sylvestris Leaf Oil, Opuntia Ficus-Indica Seed Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Powder, Panthenol, Allantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hexylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Urea, Yeast Amino Acids, Betaine, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Disodium Edta, Inositol, Taurine, Trehalose, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).




So how was my experience?

1. Smell- There were complaints in the reviews about the smell. As someone who is EXTREMELY sensitive to most fragrances (I don't even wear much perfume), this was very important. However, I found the smell to be quite light. It does smell a bit like granny smith apples, but it does not linger and did not irritate my allergies. 

2. Tingling- Many people reported that the product burned. Not discrediting anyone's experience, but I think this property is a bit relative. For example, my mother hates anything with a cooling, tingling sensation. She won't even use Burts Bees Lip Balm. I, on the other hand, REALLY enjoy this. Whenever she uses something like it, she says it burns. So, if you are sensitive to this property, this (and the other GlamGlow masks) might not be for you. Nevertheless, I did find the tingling here to be very mild and it only lasted during the first minute or so. It was definitely not as tingly as the Tinglexfoliate Treatment.

3. Irritation- I did not experience any irritation with the product. However, I will monitor over the next few days to see if I experience any breakouts or other reactions.

4. Benefits- This is a tricky area for me to review. For one, I've only used the treatment once, so I can't really accurately determine if this product has benefited my skin. I like to change up my treatments so I will likely not use this consistently enough to determine any long term benefits either. Secondly, other than my eczema, my skin is quite normal. I do not have acne and when I am not having an outbreak, my skin is neither dry or oily. So it's a bit difficult to tell if specialty products such as these really do what they say. It did leave my skin clean and not too dry. 


Would I use this product again?

Yes, I will pull this product in rotation with my other masks and treatments. The results were not outstanding but it got the job done. But, I would not purchase this product again because it will take me forever to use this jar and by the time I do, I will be on to something else. Lol.



Hope you found this review to be helpful. Let me know what your experiences are with the product or other masks and treatments you like or don't like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment